Marinated ahi sits on top of freshly fried wonton chips with melted mozzarella, wasabi creama, avocado, red onion, ginger, cilantro and jalapeno slices.
For Wonton Chips
Peanut oil for frying
15 small wonton wrappers, cut diagonally in halves
For Marinated Ahi
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
1/2 lime, juiced
12 ounces ahi, cubed
For Wasabi Crema
1/4 cup Mexican-style crema
1-2 teaspoons wasabi paste
Dash of salt
For Additional Nacho Toppings
2 cups mozzarella, shredded
1 avocado, cubed
1 jalapeno, sliced
1/2 lime, juiced
1/3 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, pour enough oil to come up 2 inches. Heat the oil to 350 degrees. Drop in a few wontons at a time and fry for about 40 seconds. Using tongs, flip the wontons and heat until the wonton chip is golden brown, about another 30 or 40 seconds. Remove the fried wontons to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat until you fry all the wontons.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, stir together the soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and lime juice. Add the ahi and stir to coat. Place in the refrigerator. Prep the cheese, avocado, red onion and fresh ginger.
- Mix together the Mexican-style crema, wasabi paste and salt. Start with one teaspoon of wasabi paste and taste. If you want a stronger wasabi flavor, add another teaspoon.
- On a baking sheet or cast iron skillet, lay down half of the wonton chips and top with half of the cheese. Repeat with the remaining chips and cheese. If you have a sheet pan large enough to hold all the chips in one layer, you can use that instead. Bake until the cheese fully melts, about eight to 10 minutes.
- While the nachos bake, toast the sesame seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat for about three to five minutes.
- Once the cheese melts, remove from oven and sprinkle the ahi, wasabi crema, avocado, jalapeno, lime juice, red onion, cilantro, fresh ginger and sesame seeds all over the nachos and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Most grocery stores sell Mexican-style crema. I generally find it near the refrigerated tortillas. If you don't have crema, you can make your own by mixing together two tablespoons of sour cream with two tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Category: Appetizers
Keywords: nachos, ahi, ahi nachos