This corn-roasted red pepper flatbread with a spicy avocado sauce is the perfect appetizer to share with friends, especially when sweet corn hits its peak.
For Spicy Avocado Sauce
1 avocado, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled
1 jalapeño, seeds and membrane left intact, roughly chopped
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 lemon, juiced
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4-1/2 cup olive oil
For Corn-Roasted Red Pepper Flatbread
1/2 pound pizza dough, thawed if frozen, homemade or store-bought (see note)
2 tablespoons spicy avocado sauce
1-1 1/2 cups smoked white cheddar, shredded
1 corn ear, kernels removed
1/3 cup roasted red peppers
1 tablespoon water
- Forty-five minutes before you plan to bake the flatbread, place a pizza stone in a cold oven and heat to 500 degrees.
- At least 30 minutes or up to two hours before you top the flatbread, place the dough on a lightly floured countertop. Gently press down to slightly flatten. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let rest.
- Stretch the dough to make a long rectangle shape. You can use a rolling pizza or hand toss. To hand toss, lay the dough on top of your fists and pass around in a circular motion. As it starts to spread, don't be afraid to gently bounce in the air. Twist your wrists as you bounce to help the dough spin while airborne. You can also grab one end and let gravity pull the dough down and then repeat on the other side. The helps form a rectangle shape.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper large enough to hold the flatbread on a pizza peel or a rimless sheet pan. You can also use the back of a sheet pan if you don't have a peel or rimless pan. Sprinkle with cornmeal and place the stretched dough on top.
- Spread the avocado sauce on the dough. Top with cheese and then corn and roasted red peppers.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and water together. Brush generously on the crust.
- Slide the pizza onto the stone. Bake for two minutes and then carefully remove the parchment paper. Close the oven door and bake until the crust is golden, another eight to 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let set for about five minutes. Cut and serve. Enjoy!
- I recommend my make-ahead beer pizza dough, which is linked.
- If you don't have any homemade pizza dough and can't find any at the store, you can always use premade flatbread. You won't need to bake the flatbread in such a hot oven if you go that route. Just bake in a 350-degree oven until the cheese melts.
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: corn flatbread, flatbread, corn recipe, summer flatbread