For a new, delicious take on your traditional pesto, you'll love this feta-avocado pesto sauce. The avocado adds a creamy, luscious texture while the feta delivers the perfect salty, tangy kick. When not any pesto will do, this feta-avocado version is just what you need.
7 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup pistachios, shelled
1 avocado, roughly chopped
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (see note)
1 cup feta, crumbled
1/2 cup Parmesan, freshly grated using the small hole on a box grater (see note)
1 1/2 cups olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor, pulse the garlic cloves, lemon juice and pistachios until finely chopped.
- Add the avocado, fresh basil leaves, feta and Parmesan to the food processor. Blend until the mixture begins to come together. As needed, scrape down the side of the bowl to make sure everything is incorporated.
- With the food processor running, slowly stream in the olive oil. Blend until smooth. Again, if needed, scrape the side of the bowl. Taste the pesto and add salt and pepper to your liking. Blend to incorporate the salt and pepper. Taste again and add more seasoning if needed. Enjoy!
- Two cups of fresh packed basil leaves is equivalent to the 3-ounce package many stores sell.
- Make sure you freshly grate your Parmesan. Pre-grated Parmesan won't blend well into the sauce.
- You can make this pesto two to three days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. The leftovers also freeze well.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Sauces
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 1
- Sodium: 51
- Fat: 8
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 7
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 3
Keywords: pesto, avocado pesto, feta pesto, feta avocado pesto