This frozen chocolate-cherry mousse pie features a cool, silky chocolate mousse with an Oreo cookie crust and a generous dusting of toasted coconut.
For Oreo Crust
1/4 cup butter, melted
For Chocolate-Cherry Pie
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
8 tablespoons butter, sliced
3 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 ounces cherry juice
1 1/2 cups cherries, fresh or frozen, chopped, pitted and stems removed
1/4 cup coconut, toasted
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, crush Oreos until they become fine crumbs. You can also place the Oreos in a plastic zip bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- In a bowl, mix Oreo crumbs with melted butter until damp. In a greased pie place, press the crumbs on the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes and allow to cool.
- In a double boiler or bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate and butter while stirring frequently until smooth.
- Add the yolks and beat well with a hand mixer after each addition. Remove from heat.
- Using a different bowl, beat the egg whites until they reach the soft peak stage. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl, beat the cream and sugar until it starts to thicken. Add the cherry juice and keep beating until it forms soft to medium peaks.
- Gently fold in the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Once the egg whites are fully incorporated, fold in the cherry whipped cream and stir in the chopped cherries.
- Pour into cooled Oreo crust. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for a few hours or overnight. Before serving, top with toasted coconut. Enjoy!
If fresh cherries aren’t available, you can use frozen cherries. Just thaw and drain excess moisture before using.
- Category: Desserts
Keywords: chocolate cherry pie, chocolate mousse, mousse pie