With a decadent yet complex explosion of chocolate, perfectly gooey center and that beloved crinkly, crackly top, these fudgy stout brownies will be your new go-to recipe.
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup butter
1 tablespoon espresso powder
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup stout (see note)
1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract or paste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9-inch-by-13-inch pan with cooking spray and line it with parchment paper. The cooking spray helps the parchment stay in place.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the semi-sweet chocolate, butter and espresso powder. Microwave in a 15-second interval and stir. Repeat until the chocolate and butter are fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the white and dark brown sugars until combined. Stir in beer and allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
- While the chocolate mixture cools, stir together flour, cocoa powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Add three eggs and vanilla extract to the chocolate mixture. Whisk just until combined and no more. Add the remaining eggs and whisk until combined. Do not overmix to avoid cakey brownies.
- Stir in the flour mixture with a wooden spoon. Again, do not overmix and stir just until combined. If a little bit of flour shows on top, that’s OK.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the parchment paper-lined pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Insert a toothpick in the middle of the brownies. If it comes out still gooey, put the brownies back in for two minutes and retest. The brownies are done when moist, almost-wet crumbs come out with the toothpick. We’re not looking for a dry toothpick here. Do not put back in the oven for more than two minutes at a time if you have to retest more than once.
- Allow to cool so the fudgy center can set. Cut into squares. Enjoy!
- You can substitute a porter for stout. When measuring, make sure the foamy head has dissipated. Otherwise, your measurement won’t be accurate.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: fudgy brownies, fudgy stout brownies