You can cook this delicious, comforting homemade apple cider in two ways: a slow cooker or stockpot. Serve as is or add a bourbon or rum for an extra punch.
5 Honeycrisp apples, cored and sliced
5 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
1 orange, sliced
4 cinnamon sticks
2 tablespoons whole cloves
2 tablespoons ground allspice
1/2 tablespoon ground nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
1 cup dark brown sugar
Bourbon or spiced rum, optional
- Place apple slices in a slow cooker that holds at least 6 quarts. Fill with water until it looks like the water could cover the apples by an inch if they were submerged.
- Add orange slices and spices. Cover and cook on low for seven hours or high heat for three hours. Alternatively, place ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer until apples are tender enough to mash into a pulp, about two to three hours.
- Using a potato masher, mash the apples until they turn into a pulp. Strain through a cheesecloth-lined fine-mesh sieve. If desired, strain a second time. Stir in dark brown sugar until it dissolves and taste. You can always add more spice or sugar if you find it necessary or water for a milder flavor.
- Pour in mugs and add an optional shot of bourbon or spiced rum if desired. Enjoy!
- Orange peel can add a little bitterness. Some people enjoy the little bite and complexity it adds, but if you'd rather avoid that, cut the orange peel off the slices. If you plan to serve to children, go ahead and cut off the peel.
- The apple peel can stay on and will easily slide off after cooking during the mashing process.
- Apple cider freezes well if you can't finish the entire batch.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Beverages
- Method: Slow Cooker or Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 drink
- Calories: 83
- Sugar: 16
- Sodium: 5
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 16
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: apple cider