For a fun twist on classic comfort food, you’ll love this jalapeno popper cornbread! Just like jalapeno poppers, this cornbread is loaded with spicy jalapeno, smoky bacon and melted cheddar and filled with a whipped cream cheese butter as a nod to everyone’s favorite party snack.
For Jalapeno Popper Cornbread
6 bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups cornmeal, spooned and leveled
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten, room temperature
8 ounces sour cream, room temperature
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, shaken before measuring
1/2 cup melted butter
1 diced jalapeno, stemmed, seeds and membrane removed before dicing
1 cup freshly grated cheddar
2 tablespoons butter
1-2 sliced jalapenos
For Whipped Cream Cheese Butter
1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- In a cold skillet, add the bacon and turn the heat to medium. Cook the bacon until the fat renders and it turns brown. Move to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
- Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in a cold oven and heat to 400 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, buttermilk and melted butter until it’s smooth. Stir in the dry ingredients just until combined. The batter will be a bit lumpy. Then, fold in the reserved bacon, diced jalapeno and cheddar.
- By now, the oven should be 400 degrees. If not, allow it to reach 400 degrees. When it hits 400 degrees, carefully remove the skillet from the oven and place on a heat-proof surface, such as a trivet or the stove. Add the 2 tablespoons unmelted butter. Use a spoon to move the butter around to evenly coat the skillet. Pour in the batter and top with sliced jalapenos.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- As the cornbread bakes, prepare the whipped cream cheese butter by using a hand or stand mixer to whip the butter and cream cheese together until fluffy. Set aside in room temperature to keep it spreadable.
- When the cornbread finishes baking, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the skillet for about five to 10 minutes. Serve with whipped cream cheese butter. Enjoy!
- For baking at 5,280 feet, I used 1 3/4 teaspoons baking soda. I did not make any additional adjustments for altitude.
- For full tips, please see blog post.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 342
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 476
- Fat: 23
- Saturated Fat: 14
- Unsaturated Fat: 5
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 10
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 85
Keywords: jalapeno popper cornbread