Made with freshly roasted tomatoes and a dash of warm, rich spices, this Jamaican jerk salsa puts a new spin on your traditional recipe. Grab a basket of chips, a cold margarita and a spot on the patio with a big of this Jamaican jerk salsa for one perfect summer evening.
8 Roma tomatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, grated or minced
1 habanero, stemmed and chopped (see note)
1 lime, juiced
3/4 cup chopped yellow or red onion
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Rub the tomato halves with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast for an hour. Let the tomatoes cool for a few minutes.
- In a food processor, pulse the tomatoes with dark brown sugar until they reach your desired consistency.
- Move the tomatoes to a mixing bowl. Stir in garlic, habanero, lime juice, onion, cilantro and spices. Taste and add salt to your liking. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to meld. Serve with tortilla chips or use as a condiment. Enjoy!
- If you want a mild to medium salsa, remove the seeds from the habanero. Otherwise, leave them in. If you're unsure, you can always set the seeds to the side, taste and add them if you'd like more heat.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Jamaican-Mexican Fusion
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 17
- Sugar: 2
- Sodium: 4
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 2
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 1
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: Jamaican jerk salsa, roasted tomato salsa, homemade salsa, tropical salsa