Entertaining has never been easier. Simple yet elegant, this slow-roasted blood orange salmon takes advantage of winter’s most delicious citrus to make a meal that always impresses.
2-pound salmon filet, skin left intact
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
Several blood orange slices
3/4 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
1 small garlic clove, grated or minced
3 tablespoons honey, divided
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Fresh chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Remove salmon filet from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking and let sit in room temperature. Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place blood orange slices all over the salmon. Roast in a 275-degree oven until it reaches a 120-degree internal temperature for medium rare, about 25 minutes. The center of the salmon may still look a bit translucent because of the low cooking temperature, but as along as it reaches that 120 degrees and it flakes easily, it’s done cooking.
- As the salmon roasts, make the blood orange glaze by mixing together in a small bowl freshly squeezed blood orange juice, garlic clove, 2 tablespoons honey, soy sauce, ginger, rice vinegar and a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until the mixture reduces to about 1/2 cup. Turn off heat and pour into a serving bowl. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of honey and set aside.
- While the blood orange glaze reduces, toast sesame seeds in a skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about two to three minutes. Set aside.
- When the salmon finishes roasting, remove from oven and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro on top. Allow everyone to spoon of their own portions from the salmon filet family style and pass around the glaze for every person to drizzle. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Asian-Inspired
- Serving Size: 6 ounces
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 11
- Fat: 20
- Saturated Fat: 3
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 12
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 16
- Cholesterol: 40
Keywords: blood orange salmon