Brace yourselves, s’mores lovers. You’re about to meet your dream ice cream. Loaded with rich chocolate flavor, toasted marshmallows and crushed graham crackers in every bite, this s’mores ice cream is one nostalgic treat that’s perfect any time of year.
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
7 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
7 graham cracker sheets, lightly crushed
2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- Whisk together the heavy cream, milk, sugar and cocoa powder in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Continue to whisk periodically to help dissolve the sugar and incorporate the cocoa powder. Once it simmers, turn off heat. Do not bring to a boil as this can cause the milk to separate.
- Whisk egg yolks and vanilla until pale, about three minutes. Temper about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of warm cream mixture into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Repeat this step a few times.
- Add tempered egg-cream mixture back to the pot. Whisk constantly over medium heat and bring back to a simmer. Again, do not boil. Cook until mixture thickens and covers the back of a wooden spoon. Turn off heat.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl, and then directly cover the top of the custard’s surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, preferably overnight to ensure proper churning.
- Pour custard in an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. As the ice cream churns, spread mini marshmallows on a broiler-safe sheet. Broil a few inches from the heating unit until the marshmallows are brown and toasty. Keep a close eye on this. It won’t take long for the marshmallows to toast. Make sure you take care of this step early in the churning process to give marshmallows time to sit and set before adding them to the ice cream. In the last five minutes of churning, add the crushed graham crackers to the ice cream maker.
- Spread half of the chocolate-graham ice cream on the bottom of an airtight container and top with half of the toasted marshmallows. Repeat with the remaining ice cream and marshmallows. Freeze for several hours before serving. Enjoy!
- Recipe originally published in September 2018 and republished in March 2020.
- Prep time does not include chilling or churning as that can vary based on manufacturer.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 550
- Sugar: 45
- Sodium: 309
- Fat: 31
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 60
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 16
- Cholesterol: 239
Keywords: s'mores ice cream