Say hello to summer in cookie form! These sweet, buttery toasted coconut sugar cookies are full of tropical flavor with that soft, chewy texture everyone loves. You won’t find a more perfect summer cookie.
1 1/3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
Additional granulated sugar or turbinado sugar for dusting, optional
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the coconut until it begins to brown and turn fragrant. Stir every so often to prevent burning. Set aside.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together the softened butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Scrape the creamed butter off the side of the bowl. Add one egg with the lemon juice and extracts. Beat just until combined. Repeat with the second egg. Once both eggs are combined, scrape the dough off the side of the bowl again.
- Add a spoonful or two of the flour mixture at a time and stir until incorporated. Repeat until all the flour mixture is combined into the dough. Stir in toasted coconut.
- Chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. On a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, form the dough into approximately golf ball-size dough balls.
- Bake for nine minutes. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a couple minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, dust with additional granulated sugar or turbinado sugar while still warm. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
- For full tips, please see blog post.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 25
- Sodium: 183
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 4
- Unsaturated Fat: 2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 4
- Cholesterol: 35
Keywords: coconut sugar cookies