When Old Man Winter strikes, nothing gets you through the cold night like a seasonal cocktail by the fire. Made with sweet and savory rosemary simple syrup and bright white coconut milk, this Winter Wonderland Margarita is your perfect sipper for the occasion. Serve with a candied rosemary sprig for a sparkly, wintry touch.
For Rosemary Simple Syrup
1 cup water
1 cup white sugar
Several fresh rosemary sprigs
For Candied Rosemary Garnish
Rosemary simple syrup
Fresh rosemary sprigs
For Winter Wonderland Margarita
1 lime, juiced
2 ounces tequila, preferably reposado
2 ounces coconut milk
1 ounce orange liqueur
1 ounce rosemary simple syrup
Course sea salt, for garnish, optional
- To make the rosemary simple syrup, bring the water, sugar and rosemary sprigs to a low boil over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. Stir occasionally to help dissolve the sugar. Once it comes to a low boil and the sugar dissolves, turn off the heat and allow the mixture to steep for at least 10 minutes. Strain and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can make this a couple weeks in advance.
- For the candied rosemary garnish, lightly dip a pastry brush into the rosemary simple syrup and coat the rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle with sugar. Set on a wire rack to dry for about an hour.
- Add the lime juice, tequila, coconut milk, orange liqueur, rosemary simple syrup and a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Pop on the top and shake vigorously for about 15 to 30 seconds.
- If desired, sprinkle course sea salt onto a small plate. Run a lime slice along the rim of the serving glass. Place the rim into the salt and swirl a few times to coat.
- Add ice to the serving glass. Strain the margarita into the glass. Garnish with the candied rosemary for an extra festive touch. Enjoy!
- To make drinks for a crowd, use eight limes, 2 cups tequila, 2 cups coconut milk, 1 cup orange liqueur and 1 cup rosemary simple syrup. That will give you eight servings. You can make it a few hours in advance and store in the refrigerator. Just keep in mind that coconut milk eventually settles so give it a stir before serving to make it all pretty and fun again.
- For the coconut milk, make sure you get the unsweetened kind that comes in a can and shake it well before using. Also, check to make sure it's straight coconut milk, not coconut cream or cream of coconut.
- Triple sec works for the orange liqueur, though I like Grand Marnier or Cointreau the best to make it top shelf.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Stove-Top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size: 1 drink
- Calories: 405
- Sugar: 32
- Sodium: 14
- Fat: 9
- Saturated Fat: 9
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: winter margarita, winter wonderland margarita