Creamy White Chicken Chili
When you need a cozy bowl of comfort food, this cream white chicken chili always hits the spot! Loaded with tender shredded chicken, green chiles and a medley of spices, this white chili features the creamiest, most decadent broth with just the right kick of heat. Perfect for game day or a casual gathering with your favorite people.
Servings 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 pounds bone-in chicken thighs skin removed
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 (4-ounce) cans mild green chiles
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno chopped (see note)
- 4 garlic cloves minced or grated
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened and cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ lime juiced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Desired toppings optional
Heat canola oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cook half the chicken on both sides until browned, about four minutes per side. Remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Turn down heat to medium. Melt butter. Whisk in flour until smooth. Continue cooking for about three to four minutes, whisking nearly constantly.
Stir in the green chiles, onion and jalapeno. Cook until softened, about five minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Slowly whisk in the chicken stock until the mixture smooths out. Add the chicken back to the stockpot along with the cumin, salt, chili powder, Mexican oregano, coriander, smoked paprika, white pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Add the beans and corn and continue to simmer, this time uncovered. Meanwhile, remove the chicken. When cool enough to handle, shred the chicken. Discard the bones and add the shredded chicken back to the stockpot along with the cream cheese and heavy cream. Stir until the cream cheese melts. You may need to increase the heat to help the cream cheese melt.
Turn off heat. Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Spoon into bowls and add desired toppings. Enjoy!
- If you're sensitive to heat, seed the jalapeno before chopping. However, if you prefer some heat, include the seeds with the chopped jalapeno.
- For full tips, please see blog post.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 650kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 47g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 179mg | Sodium: 800mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g