Don’t get me wrong. I could eat a big bowl of guacamole every day and never complain. Guacamole represents everything that is good and right in this world, and I’m always happy to indulge. That said, with its creamy texture and mild flavor, avocado is the perfect canvas for so many other dips. Throw in your favorite herbs, a kick of citrus and a few seasonings, and you have yourself one delicious appetizer. If you need proof, try this spicy avocado-herb dip.
Filled with lots of fresh cilantro and parsley, lemon and jalapeno, this dip is so flavorful with only a few basic ingredients. Just toss everything in a food processor and blend. If possible, give it a few hours in the refrigerator to chill and allow the flavors to meld. Unlike guacamole, this dip keeps its lovely green shade, so making it ahead of time isn't a problem.
On top of being delicious and easy to prepare, this spicy avocado-herb dip is handy because it can be used in so many ways. Try spooning this dip over grilled flank steak or use it as a fun topping on tacos. I especially love it as a sauce base on flatbread. Of course, it’s perfectly fine to strictly use this recipe as a dip, but I’m a fan of multifunctional recipes.
I love an American pale ale with this dip. The strong hop profile brings out the spicy jalapeno and often shows off citrus, herbal and floral flavors. With an American pale ale, you also get plenty of carbonation, which cuts through the avocado’s fat and resets your palate.
For those moments a big glass of wine calls to you, go with an Italian pinot gris. With a pinot gris, you get a citrus-forward with a zesty punch of acidity to hold up to the bright lemon. The citrus and acidity also offer a great complement to the fresh herbs. With its high ABV, you may also notice that this wine accentuates the jalapeno, though it shouldn’t be overwhelming.
If you ask me, every occasion could use a dip or two. This dip’s creamy texture with fresh herbs, spicy jalapeno and bright citrus make it a crowd favorite.
Need more avocado in your life?
- Parmesan-crusted Brie grilled cheese with apricot, avocado and fresh herbs
- Tex-Mex avocado pasta with chili-tequila roasted shrimp and cojita
- Corn-roasted red pepper flatbread with spicy avocado sauce
If you love this recipe, please leave a comment with a five-star rating — or simply hit the five-star button in the recipe card. Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter, and you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok.
Spicy Avocado-Herb Dip
- 1 avocado roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1 jalapeño seeds and membrane left intact, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lemon juiced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a food processor, add avocado, garlic cloves, jalapeño, parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend until well chopped and combined.
- With the food processor running, pour in the oil olive through the spout. Start with a ¼ cup of olive oil. If it's a little too thick, add the remaining ¼ cup. Refrigerate for a few hours to chill and allow the flavors to meld. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.