Fresh cherry season is officially underway, and I can’t think of a better way to kick-off this delicious time of year than making your own cherry-infused bourbon.
As a heads up, this isn’t the time to procrastinate. I highly recommend you set aside some time to make this bourbon ASAP, and that’s not because I’m overhyping this recipe. Promise.
I first made this cherry-infused bourbon last summer and tried the bourbon at multiple stages. While the cherry flavor was somewhat present earlier in the process, it was so much more delicious after infusing for four weeks and even better after six weeks. Some infusions do well with less resting time, but the cherries work some serious magic if given enough time.
I know. That’s a long time to wait for your cherry-infused bourbon but trust me. I’m the least patient person in the world. You can ask Matt. He’d agree in a heartbeat. If I can find the patience to wait six weeks, I know you can too.
Do yourself a favor and put this recipe on your to-do list right away. When you’re sipping on a bourbon cocktail bursting with fresh cherry flavor, you’ll be glad you did. And, hey, for once, having a little patience will pay off. In case you need a little inspiration for how to use this cherry-infused bourbon, here are a couple of my favorite recipes.
For this cherry-infused bourbon, seared duck breast is an awesome accompaniment. Cherry works well in sauces with duck dishes, and the caramelization from the sear complements similar notes in the bourbon. If you have a sweet tooth, a fudgy, gooey brownie with a glass of cherry-infused bourbon is the perfect end to a meal.
Looking for More Bourbon Cocktails?
- Cherry pitter
- Large sealable jar
- 3 cups bourbon or whiskey
- 3 cups cherries pitted and stems removed
- Pour the bourbon over the cherries in an airtight container.
- Store away from light. Every few days or so, shake the jar.
- Let the bourbon infuse for at least four weeks, preferably six weeks. Serve neat, on ice or in a cocktail.
- Pitting cherries can get messy. Wear an old shirt that you don’t mind if it gets stained.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.