During these chilly fall and winter months, I love a cocktail that has some warming power. Something with cozy spices instantly puts me in good spirits, and I can always count on this gingered bourbon-apple cider cocktail to do just that.
On top of the spice, bourbon gives me an extra snuggly feeling when it’s cold. That’s not to say I don’t love a good summer cocktail with bourbon, of course. But bourbon feels like the perfect libation when the temperature drops.
We actually just had a couple snowy days here in Denver, so it’s a great excuse to whip up this gingered bourbon-apple cider cocktail and cuddle on the couch with Netflix and a fire. Sounds nice, huh?
How to Make a Gingered Bourbon-Apple Cider Cocktail
Now let’s chat about how to mix up this easy apple cider cocktail in no time. We need a cocktail shaker, ice, bourbon, apple cider, ginger ale and an orange twist.
For the apple cider, I used my homemade apple cider recipe, but store-bought cider is also fine. My homemade apple cider freezes well, so it’s a nice way to keep cider on hand for when the cocktail craving hits.
That said, I get it. Life is busy, and if store-bought cider makes your day easier, go that route.
While this recipe is for one drink, you can easily scale up the recipe to make a big batch for the upcoming holiday parties. Just multiple the ounces by the number of servings you’d like the prepare and then divide that number by eight to get the number of cups you’d need. Or you can skip the dividing step and just use the ounces side on your measuring cup. For measuring a splash, I generally figure about 1/2 ounce to 1 ounce per serving.
Once we have our ingredients ready to go, we throw some ice in the cocktail shaker with the bourbon and apple cider and give it a good shake for about 15 seconds. Pour the chilled bourbon and apple cider into ice-filled glasses, top with a splash of ginger ale, and garnish with an orange twist and a cinnamon-sugar rim if you’re inclined. Now please find yourself a comfortable spot on the couch by the fire and sip away.
Perfect Pairing for Gingered Bourbon-Apple Cider Cocktail
Maybe the holidays have revved up my sweet tooth, but this gingered bourbon-apple cider cocktail is the perfect dessert beverage. I love the way this cocktail’s spices play with a butterscotch blondie or the caramel-like notes in a big slice of pecan pie. A sticky toffee pudding cake with its punch of brown sugar is another delicious option.
During these chilly months, I hope you keep warm and sip on this gingered bourbon-apple cider cocktail. Please let me know how you enjoyed this fun fall cocktail recipe in the comment section and don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter. You can also catch me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.
Looking for More Recipes That Will Warm You Right Up? Try These Burrata and Bubbles Recipes.
- Vanilla bean-orange-infused bourbon
- Smoked Gouda-pumpkin polenta with brown butter shrimp
- Colorado-style pork green chile
Shop This Post
Burrata and Bubbles is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
- Premium Cocktail Mixing Glass Set – Thick Bottom 18oz (550ml) Seamless Lead Free Crystal Mixing Glass, Jigger & Strainer – Professional Quality
- Boston Cocktail Shaker Bar Set By VinoBravo: 18oz & 28oz Weighted Shaker Tins, Hawthorne Cocktail Strainer, Double Jigger, 12” Mixing Spoon, 7” Drink Muddler and Recipes (Black)
- Marquis by Waterford 165118 Markham Double Old Fashioned Glasses, Set of 4
Full of comforting, warm spices, this gingered bourbon-apple cider cocktail is the perfect warming drink for those chilly months.
1/2 cup apple cider, homemade or store-bought
2 ounces bourbon
Splash of ginger ale
Apple slice, optional, for garnish
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, optional, for garnish
1/2 tablespoon sugar, optional for garnish
- Using a paring knife, cut off the bottom of the orange and use that as the base. Carefully cut off a piece of peel by moving the knife away from yourself in a downward direction. Try to cut shallowly to minimize the amount of white pith.
- In a cocktail shaker, add the apple cider, bourbon and a handful of ice. Put on the top and shake vigorously for about 15 seconds.
- If desired, on a small plate, mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Run an orange slice around the rim of the glass and dip in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Fill the glass with ice and pour in the chilled apple cider and bourbon. Pour a splash of ginger ale on top and gently stir. Twist the orange peel over your drink to release the oils and drop in the glass with an apple slice if desired. Enjoy!
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.
- Category: Cocktails
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 drink
- Calories: 158
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 4
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 3
- Fiber: 0
- Protein: 0
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: apple cider cocktail, bourbon cocktail, apple cider