Plump shrimp and creamy avocado come together with homemade barbecue sauce and fresh naan to make the ultimate summer pizza. This shrimp and avocado grilled naan pizza works perfectly as an individual entree or an appetizer to share. No matter how you serve it, this grilled pizza is always a crowd favorite.
If there’s one meal I love, it’s a nontraditional pizza, especially when it comes to this recipe’s combination of ingredients. Grilling the shrimp brings out a touch of sweetness, which contrasts nicely with the smoky barbecue sauce and charred naan. On top of all that delicious goodness, we add avocado cubes and plenty of melted cheese for good measure.
I also happen to have a soft spot for this grilled pizza because it uses two favorite Burrata and Bubbles recipes: my honey-sriracha BBQ sauce and homemade garlic naan. Both recipes are easy to put together, but just like making your own traditional pizza dough and sauce, you'll want to plan ahead. Like any yeast bread, naan takes time to rise.
Of course, I love both recipes and highly recommend making them from scratch for this pizza, but I get it. Sometimes life is busy, and you need a quick and easy yet delicious recipe.
For those moments, you can use your favorite store-bought naan and barbecue sauce. You can always add that sriracha flavor to your store-bought barbecue sauce by simply stirring in sriracha to taste. How's that for an mother easy hack?
Once we make our honey-sriracha BBQ sauce and homemade naan, we're ready to prepare our pizza, which takes little time. I like to start by grilling the shrimp. We simply toss some shrimp in a grill basket with a little oil olive, salt and pepper and cook until the shrimp turn pink. Grilling shrimp is a quick process, so don't turn your back too long. Now we chop the shrimp into bite-size pieces and set aside.
At this point, we're ready to put together our pizza. That was quick, huh?
We simply spread a layer of honey-sriracha BBQ sauce onto our naan and top with freshly shredded cheese. I love using fontina in this recipe, but you're certainly welcome to use your favorite melting cheese.
Now we top with our reserved grilled shrimp and avocado cubes, and just like that, we're ready to grill again. We close the grill lid to melt the cheese for a few minutes, and that's it. Sprinkle the grilled naan pizza with a touch of freshly chopped cilantro if you're so inclined and get ready to indulge.
Can I Make Naan Pizza in the Oven?
No problem. While this recipe officially calls for grilling, you can just as easily pop it into the oven. I grilled this naan pizza because it’s summer, and I love nothing more than grilling as much as possible during these warm months.
That’s a whole different story once the winter hits. I don’t grill in the snow, so if you’re dealing with bad weather or don’t have access to a grill, the oven will still give you one delicious naan pizza.
An American wheat ale is perfect with this shrimp and avocado grilled naan pizza. With the delicate shrimp, we don't want anything too overpowering. American wheat ales are light with plenty of bubbles and typically come with a citrus kick, which nicely highlights the shrimp. The sweet, bready quality of the malt profile is also delicious with the naan.
If wine is more your style, I'm a big fan of pairing this naan pizza with an oaked chardonnay. That buttery mouthfeel works well with the naan, and I love the way the oak plays with the char from the grill. Chardonnay is also a tasty match with shrimp. Alternatively, a dry rosé works well.
I hope you take advantage of grilling season with this shrimp and avocado grilled naan pizza. I'm sure this pizza will become a new summer favorite.
Love a Good Pizza Night?
- Make-ahead beer pizza dough
- Coq au vin pizza
- Mexican beef pizza with corn and green chiles
- Buffalo chicken pizza
- Pulled pork BBQ pizza with potatoes and caramelized onions
If you love this recipe, please leave a comment with a five-star rating — or simply hit the five-star button in the recipe card. Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter, and you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok.
Shrimp and Avocado Grilled Naan Pizza
- Heat grill over medium heat. In a grill basket, toss shrimp with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on the grill and close the lid. Cook until the shrimp turns pink. This should only take a couple minutes.
- When shrimp are cool enough to handle, chop into bite-size pieces.
- Evenly spread the barbecue sauce among the four naan. Top with shredded fontina, avocado cubes and chopped shrimp.
- Place back on grill and close the lid. If necessary, you can turn down the flame if it's too high for the naan. Cook until the cheese melts.
- Remove from grill. Cut into pieces and serve. Enjoy!
- If you use store-bought barbecue sauce but would still like the sriracha flavor that you find in my homemade honey-sriracha BBQ sauce, simply stir in sriracha to taste.
- Serving size is dependent upon whether served as an appetizer or entree.
- To cook in oven, bake at 350 degrees until the cheese melts.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.