Fresh watermelon chunks, mint leaves and lime juice are muddled with sweet cream of coconut for this summer’s most refreshing cocktail. You’ll think you’re on a tropical island with this coconut-watermelon mojito in hand.
Hey there, summer cocktail lovers, I have a treat for you. I’m seriously obsessed with this coconut-watermelon mojito and can’t stop making it when the mood for a cocktail strikes. This tasty little number is everything I love in a summer cocktail —- it's ultra refreshing and full of fresh flavors with plenty of tropical vibes. Plus, it's oh-so pretty.
Who can’t get behind a drink like that?
Mojitos are one of my favorite drinks to make for a big reason: muddling! Maybe this is strange, but I love muddling cocktails. I don't know what it is, but I love a good muddling session. Perhaps it's that fresh juice and fragrant scents that come from muddling. Or maybe all that pulverizing is a cheap form of therapy. Whatever it is, I'm a sucker for muddling.
But enough about that. Let's start mixing. We begin by tossing fresh watermelon chunks, mint and lime juice into a cocktail shaker and start muddling away. When our watermelon mostly breaks down, we add white rum, cream of coconut and a handful of ice.
Oh, and make sure you use cream of coconut, not coconut milk or coconut cream. Cream of coconut is sweetened coconut cream while coconut cream is the cream of coconut milk that rises to the top, so they’re all different and not interchangeable. You can find cream of coconut in a can or squeezable bottle with other alcohol mixers.
Now let’s pop on the cocktail shaker top and start shaking. Strain the mojito into an ice-filled high ball glass and garnish with fresh watermelon and extra mint in you’d like. Before garnish the mint, I like to put it in the palm of my hand and give it a good slap this releases that minty fragrance that we all love.
Go ahead and sit back, sip, close your eyes and pretend you’re on that tropical island. Sounds nice, eh?
You can’t go wrong with a Cubano sandwich and this coconut-watermelon mojito. I just love how the ham and sweet coconut play off each other, and watermelon is the perfect contrast to the briny, salty pickles. These two were made for each other.
I figure if you're into mojito cocktails, you probably also love the idea of mojito-flavored desserts. Obviously, right? If that's you, I have a couple recipes I'm sure you'll love.
For those times you need a tropical escape, I hope you try this coconut-watermelon mojito. I’m sure it'll be your new favorite summer cocktail.
Feeling Thirsty This Summer?
- Triple citrus tequila smash
- Sparkling key lime pie martini
- Cucumber-lavender gin fizz
- Peach sangria
- Coconut margarita
If you love this recipe, please leave a comment with a five-star rating — or simply hit the five-star button in the recipe card. Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter, and you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and TikTok.
- Cocktail shaker
- Jigger or small measuring cup
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 lime juiced
- ½ cup watermelon cut into chunks
- 2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce cream of coconut see note
- Splash of chilled club soda for topping
- In a cocktail shaker, add the mint leaves, lime juice and watermelon chunks. Muddle until the watermelon mostly breaks down.
- Add the rum, cream of coconut and a handful of ice. Put the cocktail shaker top on and shake vigorously for about 15-30 seconds.
- Replace the cocktail shaker top with a cocktail strainer and strain into ice-filled glasses. Top with club soda and gently stir. If desired, garnish with more fresh mint, watermelon and lime slices. Enjoy!
- Make sure you use cream of coconut, not coconut milk or coconut cream. You can find this in the aisle of the grocery store with all the alcohol mixers.
- Nutritional information is only an estimate. The accuracy of the nutritional information for any recipe on this site is not guaranteed.